May 11, 2011

Get your tissues ready

I don't even know where to begin with this one, but I know I HAD to share this with you.  My daughter Rose, is 10 years old, going on 25 (oy!)...This little beauty amazes me with her kind heart, her generous spirit and her ability to empathize with others. Rose is such an amazing gift to anyone and everyone she comes in contact with. 

Background - Rose has struggled through school. She has been tested on every level - too smart, not smart enough, ADD, ADHD, dyslexic, any label that is out there - they tested her for it.  The conclusion - Rose is Rose.  She does what she wants when she wants to and on her own time.  Fast forward to 4th grade and our move to new home and new school.  She was placed in a classroom with an amazing teacher (thank you Mrs T), in which had Hard of Hearing children.  (Note: Rose can hear perfectly...well except for the usual selective hearing issue)  She began watching and soaking in the interpreter's "words". Out of nowhere she was signing, all the time.  Initially, we thought this was some joke, but she was seriously signing!  She began thriving again at school and became fast friends with the hard of hearing students. She's even got the interpreters in awe of her natural gift.

And now on to today at her 5th grade class's Poetry Coffeehouse (minus the coffee - doh!).  This video clip is Rose signing her poem while the interpreter reads it.  It is HER original poem about what it must be like to be deaf.... (Grab your tissues, friends - I'm still a sappy mess just thinking about it).

She should be so proud of herself...

13 comments:

falsefireworks said...

So incredibly sweet Jenny! She should definitely be proud of herself!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

And so should her mom. Beautiful sentiments, well spoken :-).

Melissa Taylor said...

I am crying - I can't believe you made me cry!

Rose, you darling sweet girl, I am so touched by your sensitivity to others. Sending you hugs. I love who you are!

Melissa

gretchen from lifenut said...

This was stunning. Watching it was transfixing, almost like watching ballet. Good job, Rose. You have a gift.

(saw link at the tribe)

Chris said...

Your daughter is beautiful, Jenny. Inside and out. Well done, Rose!

Ellia C. Naturals said...

The depth of Rose's insight and compassion is beautiful, Jenny, and surely a direct result of a strong foundation at home. What a blessing! Thanks for sharing, Sweets :)

AKA: ElliaCNaturals

Kidlutions(tm): Solutions for Kids said...

Rose,

You are some kind of wonderful!

Wendy @Kidlutions

PS...I learned about you from Melissa Taylor! =)

Diary of a Domestic Failure said...

Rose's inner beauty is enchanting! I'm so impressed with her wisdom. You've raised her well Jenny! Heart of gold & filled with kindness and compassion, if only the rest of the world saw through Rose's eyes, what a wonderful world it would be!!

Louise Sattler said...

WOW- Rose has such an intuitiveness about being deaf and the use of sign language to communicate! As a person who signs with her family and also interprets, I was in awe of the depth of her skill! I would love to send to Rose a sign language school folder developed by my company SIGNING FAMILIES. Feel free to email me your address at info@signingfamilies.com

And thank you to Wendy Young from Kidlutions for alerting my SIGNING FAMILIES FACEBOOK fans of this awesome post!

Congratulations! BRAVO!

Regards,

Louise Sattler
Owner of SIGNING FAMILIES

kasey said...

love it!!!

Kayteedids Couture said...

Wonderful! What a compassionate young lady! She looks like you!

Bexie Butterfli said...

That is by far the best way I have ever seen or heard that describes the world of the deaf. Rose you are a very special child, I hope that you never change for anyone. Take care and thank you for this enchanting experience.

Rajean said...

This is beautiful, Rose & Jenny. Powerful in any language. Something to be shared. As others have said, you have a gift. I hope you'll continue to use it. And one of my favorite parts is at the very end of your poem. You can't fake that kind of smile.