Dec 13, 2011

Calgon take me awaaaaay!

Do you remember those commercials from the 70's?  The woman whose baby is crying, the dog barking, the phone ringing and water boiling over on the stove?  After she utters those 4 little words she's instantly transported to a giant soaker tub full of bubbles with lovely background music playing.  Ever feel like that some days?  (BTW, you can find ANYTHING on YouTube!!)



It personally cracks me up because that's become one of my sayings around the house.  And I've been politely asked to stop.  I won't, but it's nice that they asked.

I'm finding it so important, as a woman, to get out of the house by myself.  Whether it be for a stroll around Target, night out with good friends or, if I can swing it, a full weekend away.  As an entrepreneur and as a mom you find yourself refreshed and looking at the world differently if you can just step out of the house and every day rut. Sometimes this is the time my best ideas come to me (yes, even while wondering Target - I swear).  When things come to mind I generate a list of things to do on my phone's calendar - helps me to focus when I return.
Room with a heavenly view
Calgon took me away here
I was recently invited to Devil's Thumb Ranch, Tabernash, Colorado (right outside of Winter Park) to do some "research" for my other biz, Sugar Loco.  I am amazed at how refreshed and calm I was, coming back from that overnight escape.  I went with a fabulous group of women, which totally helps, ate amazing food, had a spa treatment, cooking class and some good ol' fashioned down time (reading in the sun by the outdoor fire pit...ahhhh heaven). 

A visit to the barn to say "Hi" to the animals
Hold a chicken

Cooking class with Chef Evan
Devil's Thumb is everything Colorado - from horseback riding, cross-country skiing to mountain biking and hiking.  It has a list of things to do a mile long.  Or choose to do the ultimate relaxing amongst the perfect scenery.  It's completely up to you.

Just looking at these pictures again makes me all zen-like.

I'm human, I know you love your kids and family so much, but this is YOU you are investing in - and your sanity is so worth it!  Even if you don't do a full weekend, rip the band aid off slowly, try a night out first.  I always think about the fun my kids have when I'm not around and how they get to experience Daddy time or fun time with their Grandparents. 

What do you do to take care of YOU?


Disclaimer:  I was invited and hosted by Devil's Thumb Ranch for an overnight with comped services.  These are my opinions.

No comments: