Jul 23, 2010

{Road Trip Part 1} What a Grand Canyon!

They really weren't lying when they named that giant chasm in the middle of nowhere, The Grand Canyon...We took off on a road trip to Arizona and along the way stopped at the Grand Canyon to see one of the earths wonders.  I hadn't seen it since I was a child and honestly couldn't remember it if I tried (though that's no feat anymore, I have a hard time remembering anything).  But I do have pics of my brother and I scarily close to the edge of the canyon when we were just tots - let's be honest, we really didn't care.

That photo was probably taken close to the same location as this one of my daughters (Ella 8, Rose 9).  It's fun to think that the kiddos might one day take their kids to the same location and shoot pics very similar to ours...and on and on and on!

Unfortunately, there was a fire below which created a giant haze above the canyon, which you can see at the top of the pic.  Looks very simliar to a city I know (cough, cough *Los Angeles* cough).  But nontheless, it was still beautiful.

We've now been back for about 2 weeks (I'M A BLOGGING SLACKER), and I promise I will share the rest of our trip with you next week. 

What was your most memorable vacation as a kid?  Was it by plane, train or automobile?  Share with me :)

2 comments:

Sweet Harper said...

My family vacationed in many ways...camping, cabins, disney. Love that I experienced a bunch of different things. One trip that has become a tradition, even now that we have our own kids is South Dakota. We love the Black Hills, and of course Mt.Rushmore. Like I said though, it's more about the tradition-we make the trip (our WHOLE family-dogs and all) every 7 years.

Anonymous said...

very cool! my most memorable family trips are to AZ as well. my family took us to Flagstaff, Sedona, and the Grand Canyone at least 3 times. It was so wonderful to come out of crowded Cali and see all that open space of the AZ desert.