May 21, 2012

Don't let it define me

This is something that I'm working really hard at these days.  My husband has said to me so many times "don't let your businesses define who you are, you are so much more than that".  What is the "more than"?  This is my quest.  Who am I without running two businesses?  Am I as ambitious with other things as I am Monkey Toes and Sugar Loco?  Am I a kind person, does God like how I'm living this life?    



Who the heck is Jenny Ford?  That is the question I've been asking myself lately.  I want to be a missionary for Him, I want to have purpose, I want to use my influence, but what does that look like on a daily basis?  Can I still work my business and do that?  Or do I give it all up and serve others who need me?  Can I do both?   A lot of exhausting questions.



Welp, first and foremost as Jenny Ford, I love God with my being, I love Jesus with my entire heart, I love my husband more than I could have ever imagined loving another person, I love my 3 kiddos more than cake (that's a lot :)).  I love business.  I love creating, I love changing the way people see things.  I love being different, I love that I don't fit into the basic mold of society. I love being happy, silly, and I'm grateful for my optimism.  I love that I'm creative.  I really like making things beautiful.  And lastly, I LOVE CAKE!  


Here's what I'm working on -  loving others for who they are and not judging them because they're not like me or don't do things the way I would. Being there for others when they're in need.  Being present with my family and friends (I'll admit that sometimes I'm better at being present with my friends than I am with my own family - that's pretty crappy). Making sure that I don't stress about not getting everything done.  Being a person that people want to be around or ask advice from.  Being someone who uses my money and influence to make a difference in other's lives.


Lastly, asking God for everything - every single moment of my day.  Constantly praising Him for the wonderful life He has given me.  


from Dani Johnson's "Spirit Driven Success"
I'm a work in progress, but you know what? I kinda hope that I don't ever "Finish" this exciting process until it's my time to go home, it's a constant evolution...


What are you working on these days?  

2 comments:

Diary of a Domestic Failure said...

I just wrote this to A in an email. I feel as though I haven't been "present" with my family. I'm making changes. I did not like the direction I was heading.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

It's so helpful to ask these questions once in awhile.

I've had the pleasure of witnessing some of the things you're working on, and from my vantage point, I would say you're doing A+ work. You really can't go too off track when your heart is as centered as yours is.

I'm curious what your answer is to the other question: Who are WE? Who is humanity? How do we fit into the cosmos?

Because, you know, you didn't already have enough on your plate.