This one is a favorite of my kiddos - Pizza Muffins. It's super easy and I add spinach to the mix, which you'll find I try to add virtually-tasteless spinach to everything - I'm weird like that. This recipe inspiration comes from Lick The Bowl Good who adapted Rachael Ray's recipe for Pizza Puffs. Why did I rename them "Muffins"? Because in my land bigger is better, and I make these in muffin pans. If you want you could go "Puffs" by making them mini, especially if you're serving them as an appetizer, but the guilt from eating 6 "Puffs" might overload me, rather than just a simple 2 "Muffins"... Catch my drift?
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mini pepperoni
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup spinach
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan. In large stand mixer bowl, mix (with paddle) together the flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, and salt; whisk in the milk and egg. Mix in the mozzarella, Parmesan, pepperoni and spinach; let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the batter and divide among the muffin cups. Bake until puffed and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. When muffins are almost ready to come out of the oven, microwave the marinara until warmed. Top marinara sauce with an additional Parmesan sprinkle.
You could use the base of the dough mixture and change up the main ingredients for these muffins too:
Ham, Swiss and Spinach
Chicken, Cheddar with a honey mustard dip
Chicken, green chili, cheddar with salsa dip
Ground beef/turkey, cheddar, tomato
Get crazy with bacon, chicken, bleu cheese
I'd better stop before I eat a house.... but the combinations are endless really!