Nov 1, 2011

What's in a name?

I was reading about how long ago, when dirt was new (my kids would tell you that was 30 years ago) - people chose names by circumstances and it really meant something - almost like it predestined your life if you had the name that meant "Rich" or "King".  I admit, I did take into consideration the meaning of the names I gave my children.  I have no good reason why. 



Rose - Flower, shade of pink
Ella - meaning "All", girl
Oscar - jumping fighter, warrior, accurate spearsman


I have to wonder if they have taken on the meaning of their names or if I am just looking for it?

Rose - delicate, sweet, beautiful - aside from her "moments"
Ella - very girly, yet will kill a snake with a shovel while donning a sparkly dress and ballet flats
Oscar - not even two yet and will send a golf ball soaring with one swipe of his golf club
sending chapstick across the driveway


How about myself and the hubs?

Jennifer - white wave, fair one
Timothy - Giving honor, one who honors God

Well, if you've ever seen me, I am quite pastey...As much as I love the sun, my monthly dermatology visits keep me white and realize I will never be a bronzed beauty without the help of a spray tan.   I'm not sure if that's what they mean by fair one, but that's how I'm looking at it.

Tim - he's cut out to honor the highest God.  He truly is a man of great respect and that is what drew me to him.

Go check out the meaning of your name here...


What do you think?  Have you ever analyzed the name you've been given or gave your children? What does your name mean?

PS - I am in no way affiliated with Meaning of Names.com, just thought it would be cool to see what you think about all of this. 

No comments: